1.5
Turnaround Time

On 8 January 2017, I purchased a new FRAM TG7317 oil filter and 5 quarts of oil from Walmart for my wife's 2012 Honda CRV.(See Walmart receipt photo, ID#: 7KZFQ0DPLCZ) After draining the old oil and removing the old oil filter, I screwed on the newly purchased FRAM filter and poured 4 1/2 quarts of oil into the engine.

I then turned the engine on and was horrified by a loud hissing sound that came from under the car. I turned off the car and saw that multiple quarts of oil had sprayed all over the garage floor and the undercarriage of the car from the vicinity of the filter. I immediately checked the filter but found I had indeed screwed it on tightly. It took almost an hour and four roles of paper towels to clean up the mess caused by the oil leak.

I drained the remaining oil and unscrewed the defective FRAM filter. I found that the filter top appeared to be warped and therefore had not provided a tight seal around the entire gasket. Given that it was now 8:30PM and my wife had to use her car in the morning, I had to drive BACK to Walmart and purchase the only remaining container of 0W-20 oil they had and another FRAM filter (See Walmart receipt photo, ID#: 7KZFQS1K3Z3X). It was during the second trip to Walmart that I also purchased oil remover and additional paper towels to clean the remaining oil from my garage floor.

It took until 10:30PM to clean up the remaining oil mess and replace the defective FRAM filter. Unfortunately, given that EVERYTHING was covered in a thick coat of oil, I threw the filter away in a triple-layered plastic bag and I refuse to dig back through it. I did take a picture of the "proof of purchase" bottom of the filter box, which shows the item number/code of the defective filter. I was a 30 year FRAM customer and have never had any problems with their products until this incident.

When I contacted FRAM about getting a refund for the defective filter and wasted oil ($43) and cleanup material, they instead offered just a replacement filter. Extremely substandard response. Why would I buy TWO identifal filters and TWO 5-quart jugs of oil in a span of three hours if an incident had not happened. I don't have two identical cars!!

FRAM managed, in the span of an hour, to turn me from a FRAM customer to a "anyone but FRAM" customer.

Congratulations FRAM!!DON'T BUY FRAM!!

Review about: Fram Oil Filter.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Had an Experience with Fram?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion